Renters United is focused on changing laws to make renting better for everyone. We don’t provide support with particular renting situations. However, others do – for help with your own renting or living situation here are some places you can turn to for support:
Got a question about your rights?
- Tenancy Services – The Government website for tenants and landlords. Hotline 0800 836 262
- Aratohu – A resource built for specifically for renters. It offers an easily navigable forum that can help with some of the most common rental problems.
- A guide for how renting laws changed on the 11th of Feb
- Citizen’s Advice Bureau – Ask any question by phone, email or chat, and check out their website. 0800 367 222,
- Community Law – Tenancy and Housing Manual
Need help to sort a specific problem?
- Contact your local Community Law for advocacy/advice: communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres
- Contact a tenants’ advocacy service:
- Tenants Protection Association Christchurch, (03) 379-2297 or www.tpa.org.nz/contact.
- Tenants Protection Association Auckland, (09) 360 1473 or email email@example.com.
- Manawatu Tenants Union – 06 357 7435 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. www.mtu.org.nz.
- For students:
Depressed, anxious, panicky or stressed?
- In an emergency call 111.
- Lifeline 0800 543 345 or text HELP (4357)
- Call or text 1737 to speak to a trained counsellor for free.
- For advice on looking after your mental health during COVID-19 and beyond: www.mentalhealth.org.nz/get-help/covid-19/top-tips-to-get-through/.
Need help with food or other necessities?
- Find a food bank in your area: www.foodbank.co.nz/foodbanks